Tuesday 10 July 2012

iPhone niggles

Several years on and several niggles remain (sample size: 1) in the user interaction design:


  1. Access to quick radio (Bluetooth, Wi-Fi) toggles. The desire for this functionality should drop off as the battery life improves
  2. No option to mark emails you've just read as 'unread' to assist with email and task management. Or some other functionality to remind you and help you return to certain emails at a later time.
  3. A conceptual problem here: when wanting to switch to another website I'm forever hitting the home button as though I'm about to switch to another app. Some form of over training or conceptual spillover here.
  4. I frequently hit previous/next track on the lock screen rather than pause. The touch targets need to be further separated to cope with this. The recovery strategy from this error is there, which is good. I should probably check that out systematically as it doesn't always work out for me, but then I'm normally busy going "arrrgh" and frantically stabbing at the screen.
  5. I can see the reasoning behind splitting out iTunesU, though as I'm not interested in anything but the audio material it doesn't really benefit me. Some strange inconsistencies for the behaviour of the play controls (or perhaps which app is hooked up to them) between iTunesU and classic iTunes. Plus I have no idea at times what it is doing with an audio lecture, occasionally behaving as though I'm streaming with a poor connection when the media should all be present and synced already.

  6. Lack of functionality to subscribe to podcasts


Not intended to be exhaustive!

No comments:

Post a Comment